Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Dope fashion, with a dope storyline

Many people watched the movie Dope a few months ago when it was in theatres and it seemed like people really loved the movie (like me) or they hated the movie but no one can say that the fashion wasn't on point. The the main characters in this movie dressed in 90's fashion and I wish we all still dressed like this.

Shameik Moore, Tony Quinonez and Kiersey Clemons played their roles well, being considered "nerds" but also had a keen eye for fashion. Zoe Kravitz and A$AP Rocky had big roles in this movie as well, and everyone knows those two run the fashion world right now.  Yes, fashion was a huge part of this movie, along with the soundtrack, but I really liked the storyline.

Not many can relate to what these kids had to go through, but personally growing up in the hood allowed me the ability to understand or at least grasp what the average kid has to deal with in some parts of Los Angeles. Growing up, I was considered weird because I dressed weird, loved to write, enjoyed listening to classical music, jazz (also hip-hop) and was in the Boy Scouts. I also had to avoid certain areas and still do, because of gang activity or not being able to wear what I want because of the color. The only thing that I really had in common with everyone was playing basketball, and running track, oh yeah and being black.

I think that this movie could be revolutionary for my generation if people would look past the drug dealing aspect of the movie and look deep and find the hidden meanings within. It's crazy what some of us have to do to get out of where we grew up. I was fortunate enough to have parents that cared a lot about my future, so they directed me in the right direction and it wasn't as hard for me to excel past what people expected out of people in my neighborhood. However, it still wasn't easy for me and still remains hard to get away from tags society wants to place on me because of where I grew up (NE Oklahoma City) and my image (tattoos and piercings). I also have many friends that struggle getting out of trouble based on the fact that either they don't have as much parental support or gang/drug activity runs so deep in their bloodline that they don't even bother trying to do anything different because of pressure from family members to keep the tradition going.

People really just need to take notice, there are good and intelligent people growing up in some of the worst places in the world, many of which are better qualified for positions than people that grew up in the best neighborhoods or suburbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment